Do you consider yourself a Progressive Christian? If so, you probably will bristle to hear this, but you are part of an incredibly dangerous movement: Postmodernity. Quite frankly, Postmodernity is the yeast that has taken the Church away from the truth and toward a more tolerant, sin-affirming direction that is muddied with mushy theology.
Progressive Christianity is based on three wicked practices: Scoffing (to debase those who believe the Bible is true), Subversion (to undo traditional doctrine), and Rebellion (against God’s Word as truth).
2 Peter 3:3 “…knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires.”
How can you tell if it has seeped into your church? And if it has, what – if anything – can you do about it? If you’re up to it, gird your loins and check out this video of those voices strategically and intentionally coaching Christians to think about their faith in a whole new, different and exciting way that fits better with the Third Millennium than the old way of thinking that what God said is timeless:
See what they did there? They’ve DECONSTRUCTED the words we use in our doctrine. They do this by casting doubt on the real definitions (good vs. evil; male vs. female, etc.), until the words we use to define truth no longer mean what they used to mean. It’s a whole new way to view church, Jesus, salvation, and hope in the Gospel. In fact it is a very different jesus and different gospel.
This movement isn’t for those of us who believe that all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work, as it states plainly in 2 Timothy 3:16-17.
Progressive Christianity is another word for Postmodernity:
In the so-called “real world,” Post Modernism is a social movement; a rebellion against democracy and capitalism. Classic postmodernity is bent on implementing Marxism (without saying so). Rules are bad. Chaos and equality is good.
We see this in the news under Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals. We see this in the modern churches under the guise of the ever-morphing Emergent Church Movement, which some believe has died out. It has not. Postmoderns in the Church still care about being subversive, not truthful. Real agendas are often concealed behind mission/vision statements.
Suddenly, doubt is cool. It’s saying, “I don’t have all the answers and neither do you, but we know the One who does.” You see, knowing the answers from God’s Word makes you a legalistic Pharisee. Remember those videos in 2005 or so titled “I’m a Christian vs. I’m a Christ Follower?” Those were produced by a group called Christian No More. While the teens were in the youth room watching Rob Bell’s Nooma videos, churches played these clips during Sunday services. We were all having our faith deconstructed and shipwrecked.
With Post Modern churches, it comes down to the Authority of Scripture (as opposed to NAR or other movements where the Sufficiency of Scripture is questioned/ignored. NAR adds to Scripture, Postmodernism subtracts from the truth of historical biblical Christianity/doctrine).
I highly recommend this video, The Real Roots of the Emergent Church, by Elliott Nesch:
DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Check out these related articles:
- Global Leadership 2017 doubles down on carnality
- Warning for children’s ministries “turning orange”
- McLaren’s CANA Initiative marks new era for Neo Emergents
- Future of Christianity Depends on LGBTQ, Minorities, and Global Church, says C21 Speakers (juicyecumenism.com)
- A conversation with Christians who don’t like Christianity
- InterVarsity campus org urges the church to embrace Black Lives Matter
- Letter to the Editor: Where Can My College-Age Child Receive a Four-Year Degree? (lighthousetrailsresearch.com)
- The Rise of a Parallel, Post-Biblical Christianity (9marks.org)
Mark and Avoid:
Over at the PCA (Progressive Christianity Alliance), a group that calls itself a “Mustard Seed Revolution of Grace, Love and Inclusion,” their website lists these “allies” and partners who are working toward changing Christianity as we know it:
Below is a listing of some of our friends in ministry and and organizations that our members and clergy are involved with. While there is much diversity in these listings; we all hold a common desire to serve God and love one another in a visible and tangible way; although our focuses differ.
- Enlightened Christianity – An exploration of Progressive Christianity
- A resource guide for gay Christians
- The Arizona Foundation for Contemporary Theology AzFCT is a network of individuals and groups who welcome opportunities to explore progressive religious ideas through lectures, dialogue and in-depth reflection.
- Brigid’s Circle ~ Celtic Christian community
- Epochalyhpsis A new vision for what Christianity could be in the 21st century.
- Progressive Christianity Network-Britain. works to promote and support open and contemporary Christian understanding. We provide a network of local groups across the country, publish a radical quarterly newsletter, and organize regular conferences and events.
- The Christian Left
- Spirituality Without Borders
- Reclaiming God A Website for the rest of us …
- www.adoramus.co.uk – UK based progressive Christian Church (Old English Catholic), Right Reverend Peter Sanders-White
- www.adoramus-swindon.co.uk – Uk based progressive Christian Church (Old English Catholic), Father Mark Paris
- www.adoramus-derby.co.uk – Uk based progressive Christian Church (Old English Catholic), Brother Richard
- www.stchristopherscommunitychurch.weebly.com/ – (adoramus-Rotherham) – Uk based progressive Christian Church (Old English Catholic), Father Barry Frier
- Bible & World History Time Line
- Permission to Speak – “a meeting place for the sharing of the Spiritual journeys of its readers, recognizing that being Spiritual and being religious are not necessarily the same”
- A Time to Embrace Web site dedicated to respectful dialogue and reconciliation around the inclusion of our gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender sisters and brothers in Christ.
- Whithorn School of Theology
- Shepherd’s Heart Ministries
- Atlanta Pride Pride Begins With You
- LesBePure.com is a new way to Rethink, Respond and React! Check out this new way of encouraging the LGBT community to a higher standard. We also have an online community for Christian ladies. Join for free!
- I’m a Gay Christian hopes to be a shining light of God’s Love and Truth to the LGBT community. Find Christian resources and daily encouragement. Videos, Devos and Christian Music are just a few cool things you’ll find!
- Mend the Gay Gap We want to call attention to the great distance between the Church today and the LGBT Community. We are working with pastors and communities to Mend the Gay Gap.
- Toward Dawn ~”holds that love is greater than faith, and that our
- relationships with God and with each other are more important than any article of faith.
- Spiritual But Not Religious ~ 50 Million people are SBNR
- Homebrewed Christianity ~equipping grassroots theologians for tranformative thinking, engaging and living.
- Transforming Theology ~Transformative thought for progressive action
- Different Voice ~ “Embrace life. Nurture spirituality. Inspire change.”
- Straight, Not Narrow To bridge the gap that exists in the body of Christ
- Fight With Tools ~ A grassroots activist network begun by our friends: Flobots
- Bulletproof Faith A Spiritual Survival Guide for Gay and Lesbian Christians
- Anamchara – The Website of Unknowing
- IG Publishing
- Friends Committee on National Legislation
- Network of Spiritual Progressives
- United for Peace and Justice
- Doulos Christou Press
- The Peace Alliance
- Santa Venetia Healing Ministry
- Bart Campolo’s Offical Homepage
- The Walnut Hills Fellowship
- First Christian Church of Decatur, GA (Disciples of Christ)
- Turn Left Christian Merchandise
- Seven Straight Nights
- Whosoever Magazine
- Social Redemption
- Equality Alabama
- Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN)
- The Center for Progressive Christianity
- International Chaplains Association
- Human Rights Campaign
- Religious Institute on Sexual Morality, Justice and Healing
- First Christian Church – Anniston, AL
- First Presbyterian Church – Anniston, AL
- We invite you to visit the following Blogs by our friends:
- Those Crazy Liberals…and Conservatives
- Engaging the interesection of politcs, religion, and society. With book reviews and opinion articles engaging issues that affect everyone.
- Progressive Christianity and the Law “an academic blog exploring the influence of Christianity on our legal system, as well as the legal profession. In particular, the focus of this blog is the influence of “progressive” Christianity, as opposed to a more conservative, politicized view of the Christian faith.”
- Progressive Spirituality
- Ground of Being
- Christ and Plato
- So Katie
- Blog of the Grateful Bear
- Church as Art Blog
- On The Margins
- Fragmented Notions
- Dr. Delwin Brown’s Official Blog
- Child of the Wind
- The Cobalt Season
- Troy Bronsink