On January 21st in Los Angeles, author and “prophet” Shawn Bolz will teach hundreds of children to close their eyes, listen for “God’s voice,” and write down what He says. The event at Glendale Baptist Church costs $50 per child. Below is a short, shocking promotional video in which Bolz instructs the children to close their eyes and listen for God’s voice.
“If you don’t hear anything, it’s okay, you’re trying. That’s the biggest thing. You’re trying to engage with God.”
Then he does a prophetic prediction for a girl in the audience named Kaylee, who Bolz says is going to do great things for God. “Wow, God does speak and He knows things about you.”
To top it off, he leads kids in an “activation,” through a Listening Prayer he has taught them. “If you hear something, I want you to write it down.” That’s called “automatic writing,” and it’s a New Age channeling technique used by Beth Moore, Sarah Young (Jesus Calling), and others.
One of the reasons why we are doing this workshop is because I was raised by parents who believed in my ability to hear God and nurtured it. I was raised in an environment of empowerment and I want to help kids believe in their authority to hear God’s voice with a friendship perspective on how to relate to him!
The event is based on Bolz’s new book for children launching Nov. 22: Growing Up with God: Everyday Adventures of Hearing God’s Voice. Here’s how the Bethel Redding bookstore describes it:
From Shawn Bolz, author of Translating God, comes an emotionally intelligent and spiritually relevant story that equips youth of all ages to tap into God’s heart and hear His voice in their lives. Shawn has taken his gift of teaching on the prophetic and presents it in a way that children of all ages can experience how God is not limited by our age. When He speaks, everyone gets to hear Him and see powerful and wonderful things happen through their faith. This book was created to work alongside the Growing Up with God Workbook, which can be used by individuals or Sunday school groups.
And what if the child doesn’t hear God speaking directly to them? I can tell you from personal experience; Despair. Feeling unworthy. Feeling that God does not love that child. As a parent, I have had to repent of allowing this kind of teaching to infect my own child, and I can tell you it is very difficult to undo the spiritual damage.
Who is Shawn Bolz?
Endorsed and taught by New Apostolic Reformation (NAR) granddaddy C. Peter Wagner, Bolz is known widely as a “prophet” who can predict the future in a “thus sayeth the Lord” kind of way:
- Bolz taught, ministered, mentored, and prophesied at Metro Christian Fellowship with Mike Bickle in the ‘90s, and in the early 2000s he joined the International House of Prayer in Kansas City.
- His book, Translating God: Hearing God’s voice for yourself and the world around you, promises that, “IT’S TIME TO BE ACTIVATED! WHEN WE COMBINE OUR LOVE OF PROPHECY AND PEOPLE WE RESHAPE HEARTS WITH HEAVEN.”
- In April, Bolz took the stage at the heretical Azusa Now “revival” to do prophetic cold readings (parlor tricks) using his smart phone.
His new book is no doubt going to be popular this Christmas. Because what mommy or daddy doesn’t want their kid to grow up being rich and famous?
Growing Up with God is the story of Maria and Lucas, two best friends who are on the journey of discovering themselves in the very normal, but also epic journey of hearing from God’s heart. Maria has a life-changing moment at Summer Camp when she hears from God for the first time. He tells her something beyond belief, that she is going to be an actor! And not in 20 years as an adult, she can pursue her acting career now!
Parents: open your Bible. Read it to your kids. Scripture is the only holy Word of God they should be “hearing.” Teaching them to listen for extra-biblical voices you attribute to God is very wrong and very dangerous. Oh, they may hear a voice, but it won’t be God’s. He has already spoken to us in His breathed-out eternal Word, according to Hebrews 1:1-3.
Six verses that remind us to teach our children Scripture:
1. Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
2. Deuteronomy 6:5-9 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. Take to heart these words that I give you today. Repeat them to your children. Talk about them when you’re at home or away, when you lie down or get up. Write them down, and tie them around your wrist, and wear them as headbands as a reminder. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
3. Deuteronomy 4:9-10 “But watch out! Be careful never to forget what you yourself have seen. Do not let these memories escape from your mind as long as you live! And be sure to pass them on to your children and grandchildren. Never forget the day when you stood before the Lord your God at Mount Sinai, where he told me, Summon the people before me, and I will personally instruct them. Then they will learn to fear me as long as they live, and they will teach their children to fear me also.”
4. Matthew 19:13-15 One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so he could lay his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples scolded the parents for bothering him. But Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.” And he placed his hands on their heads and blessed them before he left.
5. 1 Timothy 4:10-11 This is why we work hard and continue to struggle, for our hope is in the living God, who is the Savior of all people and particularly of all believers. Teach these things and insist that everyone learn them.
6. Deuteronomy 11:19 Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up.
Please see these resources: