We share this out of concern for the hundreds of thousands who follow popular teacher Dr. David Jeremiah, who has reportedly has joined other prominent leaders (Max Lucado, Mark Batterson, Lysa TerKeurst, Jennie Allen, Lee Strobel, Ann Voskamp, Sheila Walsh, Christine Caine, Roma Downey, Dr. Jack Graham, etc.), in promoting and endorsing the “Jesus Calling” franchise, written by Sarah Young.
“When I read Sarah’s work, it’s pretty obvious to me why it’s been so highly regarded and received. She makes prayer very personal. Sometimes prayer isn’t personal, sometimes prayer can be very cold and empty. Maybe that’s why a lot of people have a hard time sustaining any kind of a prayer ministry. What Sarah has done has made it possible for people to say, “I talked to God today…I communicated with my Father.” That’s what prayer is supposed to be and she has moved the ball down the field quite aggressively in that direction.”
Here’s the link to that podcast.
We want to share some other concerns we have about Dr. Jeremiah, for your consideration:
- Jeremiah regularly appears on Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN), and was often alongside Word of Faith/prosperity teacher Paul Crouch (when he was alive).
- Last year, Jeremiah joined with Word of Faith heretics Kenneth Copeland, Paula White, and Jan Crouch in laying hands on, and praying for, Donald Trump.
- Jeremiah hosted Catholic New Ager Roma Downey and Mark Burnett at his church to discuss and promote the new TV show A.D. and Jeremiah’s new companion book based on the biblical book of Acts.
- David Jeremiah promoted New Age authors through his book, Life Wide Open, in which he favorably quoted New Agers, Buddhist sympathizers, mystics and contemplatives. The report also showed Jeremiah’s affiliation with New Age sympathizer Ken Blanchard and Lead Like Jesus. He cites contemplatives Brother Lawrence’s ‘Practice of the Presence of God”, and ‘When the heart Waits’, by Sue Monk Kidd.
- His book, Captured by Grace, Jeremiah favorably points to mystical contemplative Catholic author, the late Henri Nouwen, (who said he was uncomfortable with those who say that Jesus is the only way of salvation and that he felt it was his calling to help people find their own path). In addition, inside the front of the book sits the name and endorsement of Ken Blanchard.
It’s a serious pattern of confusing the sheep.
Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15 What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said,
“I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they shall be my people.
17 Therefore go out from their midst,
and be separate from them, says the Lord,
and touch no unclean thing;
then I will welcome you,
18 and I will be a father to you,
and you shall be sons and daughters to me,
says the Lord Almighty.”
2 Corinthians 6:14-18
Additionally, it is dangerous to fellowship with false teachers because they can corrupt even sound theology.
Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”
1 Corinthians 15:33